Prior to this story coming to light, the Crimson Tide have discussed this with, and been rebuffed by:
- Rich Rodriguez -West Virginia
- Steve Spurrier - South Carolina
- Jim Grobe - Wake Forest
- Nick Saban - Miami Dolphins
- Gene Stallings - former Alabama coach
- Norm Chow - Tennessee Titans OC
- Kevin Federline - estranged music producer
- Jay Barker - former Alabama QB
- Larry the Cable Guy - Comedian
- Paul Johnson - Navy
Alabama athletics director Mal Moore declined to comment specifically on the Mullins situation in the Decatur Weekly, only repeating seven times that "there is no timetable to make a head coaching decision".
Mullins quipped in retort, "It is obvious their time table is less than three years to give any coach a chance to win a national championship. The administration needs some sort of "institutional Viagra" in order to allow the new coach time to get the job done. Please contact Mal Moore if this coaching search last more than four more weeks."